27 July 2007

The final IUI (#5)



Well, we had our 5th and final IUI this week. It went pretty good. Here's the nitty gritty details:

Tues:
On ultrasound, Left ovary: 4 follies at 19mm, 3 @ 17mm. Right ovary: 1 @17mm. There were some smaller ones too, 15, 14, 13, etc., I believe. Estrogen at 1050 or so, lining 7.8mm.
So, in summary, good lining and 5 follies at mature size, yikes! Took the HCG shot at 8:10pm that night to trigger ovulation.

Wed:
IUI 1: 9am postwash 23million sperm count, 55% motile
Thur: IUI 2: 10am postwash 69 MILLION, 66% motile !!!!!! Whoopee!! Good job honey! Felt all the usual ovulation pain on Thurs morning and afternoon, the timing seems perfect to me!

The nurse freaked me out on Thur - she didn't know what she was doing and put the speculum in and out like 4-5 times. She was fumbling around, poking around and wrenching that metal thing around and I thought, gee, this bodes well for success if the nurse can't even figure out how to work the stupid speculum. She couldn't find the opening of my cervix apparently. She eventually called the other nurse and she came in and had it over with in like 2 mins. All it took was me scootching down a little to change the angle or something.

Marcy suggested I do some visualization exercises before/during this time, so I did it, ok Marcy, I did it!! I tried to imagine the little eggies popping out just beautifully and spinning around while floating peacefully down the fallopian (don't ya just love that word?). Then I imagined the little spermy soldiers swimming fast and knocking on the eggs to say "let me in!". Then, two eggs meet their fate and start blooming into pretty little flowers. It was relaxing, however, on Thurs it was harder to concentrate after the nurses left me all freaked out with their fumbly exercises. Sometimes it's hard to have confidence in all this when people can barely do their jobs. The lab tech guy who handles Rudy's sample on Wed was all unorganized and looking for Rudy's paperwork. These people need to work a little harder to make us feel more confident, so much rides on what they are doing.

Well, let's pray that one or two of those little eggies met up with a soldier, but hopefully not 3 or 4. Crossing my fingers and toes and invoking all the karma, prayers, good luck charms and positive horoscopes I can find that this works. Otherwise, it's on to IVF in September. The two week wait begins again..

No comments: