27 July 2007

My husband, Mr. Nice Guy and karma

Here's a little heartwarming story for you. I haven't wrote in a while and wanted to give you an uplifting post, rather than a downer post. This morning my wonderful husband drove me to the train station to drop me off - we usually go on the train together, but he is working at home today. The train station drop off area consists of two lanes, one for the buses and one for the rest of us. He pulled into the bus lane and parked in a parking space that you technically can't park in until 8am (it was 7:55am or so). We chat and eventually the parking police pull up next to us. She is a friendly older woman, probably in her fifties I suppose. She has 'yelled' at us before because Rudy likes to break the rules and drop me in that lane quite frequently. She told us we needed to move, and we should park over there, and it's a moving violation to be there, $95 dollars, yada yada yada. I said, "I'm getting out now" and kind of got short and annoyed with her. I started yelling at Rudy that he should just follow the rules and pull into the other lane, blah blah blah. I said goodbye and hopped out and went to work. Later, Rudy tells me he went to Starbucks and got a coffee and a $20 gift card. He drove back to the train station and hunted down the parking lady. He then proceeded to apologize and tell her he knows she must have a really hard job and probably takes a lot of flack from people, etc. He told her 'thank you' for doing her job with a friendly face, even though she probably doesn't have to and people are most likely never nice back. She got all teary eyed and said that no one had ever said anything like that to her before in the 17 years she has been on this job. Her 17th anniversary is next Monday actually. She said someone actually threw their coffee at her once! Rudy said "Well, I won't throw coffee at you, but I will give you this gift card for all the good work!". A good deed, indeed.

Now, what possessed Rudy to do such a thing? Well, let me tell you something about my husband. He is a very thoughtful and generous person who 9 times out of 10 puts others before himself. He can actually see situations from another person's perspective, even when he is annoyed and in the wrong. Think about that next time you get mad at somebody for something that you are doing that you know is wrong. We all do it. Somebody calls us on something that we know we did wrong, yet we turn it around and give it right back to them. Some of us are clever enough to even twist it around and make it seem like it is the other person's fault. I hate people like that. Don't be like that!

Every once in a while, try to put someone else's needs ahead of your own. The reward may surprise you.

So, how does this even relate to our quest to have a baby? I am thinking that Rudy just gave us some really good karma. Let's hope it helps.

No comments: