17 August 2009

Toothbrushing

Maddox now has 8 teeth. Two on the bottom came in recently for a total of 4 on the bottom and 4 on the top. I finally started actually brushing his teeth a month or 2 ago. Probably something I should have started earlier, but I am not going to beat myself up about it. The pediatrician just said to wipe them off with a towel after the last bottle at night. But, I finally bought some toothpaste at Whole Foods - Earth's Best I believe, and it came with a little finger brush. So, now every night after his last milk, I brush his little toothies and his gums too. He LOVES it! I am sure it is just the strawberry banana flavored toothpaste, which is safe for him to swallow, but it doesn't really matter because it makes tooth brushing easy! I brush around for a little bit, then just let him chew and suck on the brush. I figure he gets some extra cleaning that way. A couple weeks after I started doing this, he grabbed the toothbrush and toothpaste off the bookshelves and stuck the brush on his own finger and started "brushing" his own teeth. It was adorable! He does this any chance he gets now, he grabs the toothbrush and toothpaste and just carries them around, brushing his teeth as he goes. He is becoming quite the little imitator. I realize this is how babies learn, imitating people. But, it is so fun to actually see him do it. I think he is just so darn cute and so smart! There are so many little things he does that surprise me and make us laugh. I need to write more of them down so I don't forget.

Here is a pic of his toothies - this is from July before he got his haircut, but shows off his goofy grin! When he smiles, I just melt into a big gooey mess. I am so wrapped around his finger!

Here are some more toothy grins taken right after his 1st birthday. I only have a few of him sitting still, the rest are him in motion. He never stops walking - he's always going somewhere!









No comments: